Record Books and Sparks Achievement Program
Why have 4-H Record Books and Spark Achievement Books?
The 4-H program has a long history of record keeping. The focus reflects the importance of this life skill in our daily lives. In 4-H, young people have tracked their activities, events, profits and losses, skill development and learning experiences, and much more using the iconic 4-H Record Book. In addition to record keeping, the 4-H Record Book gives members an opportunity to reflect on their year, measure their achievements and growth, and set goals, and develop plans to meet those goals.
The 4-H iSprout, Spark Achievements, Emerald Stars, and Impact Stars are progressive and work together to provide a guiding framework for youth to discover what inspires them, to learn about their communities, and to become empowered to make a difference. This system focuses less on tallying up activities to meet required totals and more on the quality of those experiences and the meaning behind them.
What activities, awards, or projects am I required to submit a record book for?
- The Annual Project Report (APR) form is to be completed and turned in to your Club Key Leader, by the due date set the previous program year.
- 4-H Record Books are required to receive participation awards (such as Star rankings, medals or pins based on 4-H Record Book achievements.
- 4-H Sparks Achievement Book is required to receive awards (such as Sparks Achievements Emerald Stars, and Impact Stars)
- 4-H Record Books and Spark Achievement are not required for membership or for participation in 4-H activities such as club events and activities, or for attending 4-H camps or conferences.
4-H Record Book Competitions
- Club Review
- County Competition
- State Competition (Senior Members Only)
Ready to get started? Click on Record Book Resources on the left side of this page.
Sparks Achievements are individual awards reviewed at the Club and received if met the requirements. It is not a competition.
State 4-H Record Book Resources
State 4-H Sparks Achievement Resources